Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blogging is Dead! Long Live Blogging!

One of the recent perks of being a BurlingtonVT Moms Blog contributing writer was getting to take a writing class with some of the other fabulous mom bloggers. I left my family on Saturday morning and headed, solo, to the Renegade Writers' Collective in Burlington for three hours of me-time.

image source
The course was taught by Kate Sykes and designed specifically for us. It explored how blogging as an art form has, perhaps, seen its peak. The original bloggers all wrote books already. (Blogging is dead!) Then again, maybe blogging is making a comeback in a new form. Blogs are trending more to long form (like this blog by yours truly) whereas short-form used to be more the way things went.

We got to do fun writing exercises. For example, writing a list post inspired by tarot card emotions and banana-gram letters to inspire topics. We then read our quickly written pieces with a group of supportive colleagues. Positive critiques were given, and tips for improving not only our writing, but connecting with a larger audience. It was really fun, and I felt like I was rediscovering a piece of myself. I began to think of myself as a writer who would potentially go on writer-type retreats.When was the last time I had taken a creative class like this? I honestly can't remember. But I know I would love to do more.

Blogging is a great creative outlet. That's why I have taken such a liking to it. It's also a way to share your message (hello climate change!) and connect with a community. Long live blogging!


image source

No comments:

Post a Comment