Monday, August 11, 2014

Desecration of a Classic

I am a Vermonter and take pride in all things Vermont. Ben and Jerry's ice cream is a quintessential and delicious Vermont invention. 

Despite being bought out by Unilever in 2000, I try to still think of Ben and Jerry's as a Vermont company. I try to remember its roots as a homemade ice cream shop that started in a gas station on the corner of College and St. Paul Street in downtown Burlington in 1978.

Though the company has tried to stay authentic despite its parent company, I think it has done so with mixed results. So when eating Ben and Jerry's flavors I tend to stick to a few classic favorites. Typically you will see enjoying Cherry Garcia, Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch, or Phish Food--a conglomeration of VT ice cream with a Vermont-hippie-jam-band.

Sadly, Heath Bar Crunch has recently fallen off my list. 

Turns out, in order to take a stand and be GMO-free, Ben and Jerry's has dropped Hershey's as its Heath Bar supplier. Heath Bar has been replaced by a toffee supplier that is GMO-free, and fair trade, so now the ice cream is called Toffee Bar Crunch.

I had some for the first time, and the new toffee is mushy and gritty. I miss the smooth candy crunch! At first I wanted to blame Ben and Jerry's thinking the change was due to corporate stinginess. But thanks to a quick google search I can place blame appropriately. So come on Hershey's Chocolate! Fix your supply chain and make your Heath Bars GMO-free so I can go back to enjoying Ben and Jerry's Heath Bar Crunch!

If not, please Ben and Jerry's, tell your toffee maker their recipe needs work. I want to support your desire to be fair trade and GMO-free but not like this. It's not worth the calories, so until something changes, no Heath Bar OR Toffee Bar Crunch for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment