Monday, August 12, 2013

Introduction to Mama of Ma'at

I am a stay at home mom who is passionate about my kids and raising them to be good citizens of the earth and stewards of the natural world. I began this blog out of my concern about global climate change and the negative consequences it will have on my children's futures, especially if the developed world continues to ignore the reality of a warming world.

Ma'at is the Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, and justice. Early records indicate that Ma'at is the norm for nature and society in this world. Ma'at was also depicted as a goddess, the concept of Ma'at personified. Her primary role was continuously preventing the universe from returning to chaos.
 

I have chosen the name Mama of Ma'at for my blog not because I think of myself as a goddess, or as someone particularly powerful. Rather I uphold the concept of Ma'at as something modern society needs to remember and restore in our governments and other institutions. Earth is out of balance with industrial and consumer desires outstripping the needs of the natural world. Society is out of balance with the desires of the ultra-wealthy few trumping the needs of the masses. This needs to change for our own sakes. We cannot exist apart from the world.

My posts will focus on myself as a stay at home mom, my children as they grow, and what I am doing as a parent to make the world a better place for them by engaging others in a much needed dialogue about climate change and its solutions. I will try to keep it light, but also keep it real. My wish is for people to stop shying away from the climate change discussion. Yes, it is an enormous and daunting problem. However, society needs to begin looking at the climate crisis as an exciting opportunity to make the world a better place overall. Solving the climate crisis requires not only environmental protection and conservation, but also social and economic justice. I think the editorial cartoon by Joel Pett below sums it up nicely:
Joel Pett 


I hope you enjoy my posts.


2 comments: