Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Homecoming After My First Kid-less Trip

Last month I left my kids for the first time since they were born. This was a big deal. Realistically speaking, I had every confidence that things would go fine in my absence. A few more tears at bedtime perhaps, but nothing my husband and/or mother-in-law couldn't handle.

I was scheduled to be gone for about 72 hours. The Climate Leadership Training kept me too busy to think about home that much. By the time I got back to my friend's house to sleep each night it was too late to call home and check in. The mornings were too busy, and the one hour time difference between Chicago and home didn't help either.

For my kids it was a treat to play with their grandmother all day (they adore her), then be with their father when he got home for dinner and bedtime. I got adorable pictures of them playing, and a video of my son saying "I love you, Mommy." and my daughter saying "Ma ma ma, Mama" in the same intonation. Melt my heart adorable! I sent back texts telling them I loved them and couldn't wait to see them.

On my last day in Chicago I called home and spoke to my son, telling him "I will be there when you wake up tomorrow." Shortly after that I received a robo-call from my airline that my flight was cancelled and my new flight would get me home TWO DAYS LATER!? I immediately thought of my son, who has the memory of an elephant. Suddenly, I had lied to him. Not intentionally of course, but I could not follow through on my promise. What sort of meltdown would this cause? Oh, Mommy guilt.

Thankfully I was able to get a flight the next day after all. I basked in comments from my husband expressing how he and the kids couldn't wait for me to get home. He left work to pick me up at the airport so he could see me himself before the kids "ate me up." I got home and both kids ran to me saying "Mama, Mama!" and gave me big hugs. Then, suddenly, my son broke into tears about a splinter in his foot. It was more than the splinter though, it was all the emotions he had experienced over the past four days, wondering where his mother was, bubbling to the surface. He talked about how he much he had missed me. I was glad I had bought him and his sister Chicago souvenirs to redirect some of his tearful energy. I assured him I had missed him and his sister greatly and wouldn't be going on another trip without them any time soon.



Like what you read? Visit and 'Like' Mama of Ma'at on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment