Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Facebook 'Like' Etiquette


I 'like' a lot of things on Facebook (with my personal account). I 'like' things that are funny, or cute, or fascinating. I also follow a lot of environmental and climate change organizations. I 'like' a lot of petitions for action, and memes with meaningful statistics decrying environmental destruction, celebrating renewable energy growth, or calling out ridiculous policies and politicians. I 'like' the un-cute and not-funny things because I want to support those causes that I have chosen to follow. Isn't that the essence of why we post things on Facebook? Individuals post to get feedback and support for our own satisfaction and validation. Organizations post to get support, spread the word, and create buzz about their cause. Otherwise no one would ever post anything at all.

The trouble is, Facebook shows all my 'likes' to all my closest friends.

"Do I 'like' too much stuff on Facebook?" I asked my husband, "I mean, does it all show up in your feed?"

"Short answer, yes." he replied matter of factly, "but I visit your page a lot so I see everything."

Oh dear. I don't want to be that annoying Facebook friend who you end up hiding because every move I make is recorded and shared for all my friends to see. I've been told many times, "Oh, I saw that thing you posted." When really I didn't post it at all, it was just an innocent 'like' because I agreed with the organization who made the post and wanted them to know it.

Here's a novel idea Facebook, only share my activity with my friend list when I specifically 'share' them. That way if there is a petition or factoid that I simply cannot restrain myself from sharing, I can purposefully share it. To not click that 'like' button on posts that are important to me is hard to do. It feels like I have to censor myself so that I don't flood the newsfeed.

Do you 'like' a lot of posts on FB? What's your take?

And don't forget to 'like' Mama of Ma'at on FB...  :) hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment