Monday, September 9, 2013

Transition to Preschool

Last spring when my 3 year old was getting particularly challenging I couldn't wait until fall and the start of preschool. As it got closer my feelings changed a bit. I alternated between being excited for him to start school so I could have a little time to bond with just my daughter, and thinking maybe he should stay home and not start school until he is 4. Afterall, once he starts school he will be in it for the next 15-22 years. What's the rush? I should keep my baby boy at home as long as I can.

He was ready for school though, and in truth, I was too. There comes a time when children need a bit more than they can get at home from their parents. Preschool will teach him to be apart from me, listen to other adults, play and share with other kids.

His preschool orientation was on August 30th and went well. He settled happily into playing while his father and I filled out a plethora of paperwork. His first real day of school on the Wednesday after Labor Day was a bit surreal. We all went to drop him off, say hello to his teachers, and see his brand new cubby. Then we left and it was no big deal. No tears, no "Don't go Mommy/Daddy!" He just played with the other boys at the sandtable.

at his cubby
It was a gorgeous day so when I returned home I took my daughter for a long walk in the stroller with our dog. We walked down to the beach, then all the way to the local winery. She slept almost the whole time. It felt amazing to be out, just me, sleeping baby girl, and our dog. It's the same thing I used to do all the time when my son was a baby.


on our long walk
When we returned home baby girl wanted to play on our playset and ride her bike. It felt strange but wonderful to focus solely on her. I could help her climb and experience things instead of just supervise and keep her brother from knocking her over or stealing whatever she had acquired. By the time we went inside we still had 90 minutes before pick up time (we had been out for 2 hours already). 3.5 hours can really feel like a long time when developing a new routine.

bike riding/walking
At 11:15 I asked my daughter if she was ready to go get her brother at school. She did not give the excited response I was expecting. I think she enjoyed the solo time too! To be fair though, she was hungry and wanting lunch, not a car ride. Back at the preschool, my son didn't even notice when we arrived to pick him up. He was too busy playing in the sandbox.
"Did you have fun at school today?" I asked when I finally got his attention.

"Yes." he replied.

"Are you ready to come home?"

"No."

"Ok, how about a few more minutes and then we go home for lunch?"

"Ok."
He got an excellent report from his teachers on how well he settled into the routine and participated during "meeting time." Once we were in the car I got happy stories from him about what he did and what toys he played with, and then we called Daddy to give him the report too.

I think we are all going to enjoy this transition to preschool.

Like what you read? Visit and 'Like' Mama of Ma'at on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment