Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Day We Almost Got Sheep

Here on our little gentleman's farm we have chickens and goats. We have been talking about getting sheep since we moved here 3 years ago. We haven't yet done it because in all of those years we have either had an infant or I have been pregnant. But now, that our family is complete, perhaps the time for sheep is nearing. Their primary function would be to mow the lawn, but with sheep comes wool, so maybe I would finally learn to knit, or at least spin yarn and let others do the knitting.

Last week I got a message from a friend who saw a post that there were 4 Icelandic sheep in Connecticut who needed to find a home quickly or they would be shot. Knowing what suckers animal lovers we are, my friend asked us if perhaps we would take the sheep. After a couple quick texts between me and my husband and an email with a local friend who raises sheep, we decided sure, let's bring them to Vermont.


My thoughts that day quickly turned to ones of buying fencing and pounding in posts, trying to find a hay supplier, and building a shelter, or perhaps they could live in the unused half of our garage/barn. It already houses the chicken coop, so why not?

I read about Icelandic sheep, a historic breed from Iceland, the closest you can get to wild sheep. Their beautiful and rare brown wool. How big they are (160 lbs), daily care (which is minimal). Where would the pasture be? My son thought they should go in between the chickens and the goats, my husband thought the sheep yard would be in the front lawn by the maple trees and the dirt road.

But the hours ticked by and I didn't hear back from the woman who was trying to re-home them. I realized these Icelandic sheep would not be ours, and I was a little sad, but a little relieved. It would have been a weekend of nothing but digging fence posts if they were coming.

Maybe next spring we will finally get our sheep.

Like what you read?  Visit and 'Like' Mama of Ma'at on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment