Saturday, September 14, 2013

Thank Goodness for Good Teachers

Our transition to preschool went so smoothly. I was so proud (and relieved) that it wasn't a big deal. But last week, on his 5th real day of school it changed a bit. When I went to pick him up his teacher said he had a "sad day." About 10 or 15 minutes after getting dropped off by his dad, he got teary during free play. Thankfully, his teacher, who is also a friend who has known him since he was a baby, noticed. She talked with him and cheered him up, but she also couldn't leave his side or he would tear up again. She stayed with him the whole morning. How happy I am that he has such a wonderful teacher who gave him such gentle care when he was feeling sad and missing his parents!

Back at home, he recovered quickly with me, his sister, the dog, and his toys. I was grateful that he had a day off before having to go back to school. The next school morning he slept later than usual. We had a nice leisurely conversation while still in our pjs before realizing we had to get going or he would be late for school. His dad took him to school as usual, then called me to say he was quiet when he arrived at school. We both worried that he was going to have another sad day.

When I went to pick him up he seemed much happier than the previous day. I ask his 2nd teacher how he had done. She said he had gotten sad and teary again, but they had sat together and read a book called, The Kissing Hand.



The book is about a little raccoon who was sad to go to school and be away from his mom. So she gave him a kiss on the hand, and whenever he needed it, he could press his hand to his face and feel his mother's love wherever he was.
"Chester loved his Kissing Hand. Now he knew his mother's love would go with him wherever he went. Even to school."
Reading The Kissing Hand with his teacher allowed him to move past his sadness more quickly, and enjoy the school day with friends. When we got home and his sister went down for her nap, he and I settled into our big bean bag chair in front of the tv to snuggle and watch Super Why! He sat on my lap and twirled his hair like he has since he was a toddler. He needed extra cuddles after another big day at school.


 

Preschool is a big step for him out into a bigger, wider world. I'm glad he still takes so much comfort in being with me and I treasure these moments. But I am also grateful for good teachers that will help guide him when I'm not there.

Like what you read? Visit and 'Like' Mama of Ma'at on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment