Friday, September 19, 2014

Adventures in Gendered Childhood

I was reading a story book with Big Bro and Lil Sis a few days ago. It's a sweet story about how much parents love babies soon as they're born and what they can do and how they grow…

It started when the story talked about preschoolers learning to do new things by themselves. Big Bro saw the illustration of the little boy and said it looked like himself. And it does. The little boy has blonde hair and was wearing a blue shirt and khaki shorts just like a Wild Kratt.


Then the book started listing occupations that preschoolers might want to grow up to be. Big Bro pointed out how he wanted to be a builder or an explorer, just like little boys in the books.


Lil Sis pointed at the picture of the little girl as a pet shop keeper and said "that's me!"


I told her how it would be fun to be a shopkeeper, she loves animals (though not in person so much, she thinks they're a little scary). But then it dawned on me. In this innocent, sweet little story about kids growing up what do you notice about the boys and girls depicted in this book?

Boys are doctors, builders, and explorers. All rather active professions. Girls were painters, dancers and pet shop owners. All rather passive professions.

So I asked Lil Sis, "Would you want to be an explorer? Or a doctor? Or a builder?"

"No. The pets!" She said in her adorable 2-year old voice. She was willing to consider the painter too.

I was suddenly mad at this cute little story. I had read it several times already and just thought it was sweet. Now, because of my kids, my eyes were open and I saw that it was contributing to the not-so-subtle ideals of what boys and girls should aspire to be. Did she not want to even consider being a doctor, explorer, or builder because the drawings were a little boy? A drawing of a little boy that my son identified so strongly with? Could she just not see herself in those roles because of the drawing?

I resolved that I should do something. I don't know what yet. Just something so that she really knows that she can do anything. There's nothing wrong with being a pet caretaker, but I want her to know that she can do more than that if she wants.

But then Big Bro said something that made me feel just a little better.

"Mommy, I want to be an explorer and a daddy when I grow up!"

Rock on little dude. Well Lil Sis is two years behind Big Bro. She has more time to learn. She already plays with Legos, dinosaurs and trucks as well as dolls and stuffed animals. They both do. I think we will be okay dealing with this whole "gendered childhood" kerfuffle. This story book was just a small reminder to keep doing what we are already doing: promoting gender equality.




No comments:

Post a Comment