Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Not Truly Ready for Fall

This week feels like fall. The temperatures are a bit cooler and the crickets are chirping louder lately. Some of our maple tree leaves are turning orange but they always turn early.

It was a tough day with the kids. So I was constantly looking for something to keep them occupied. I get tired of playing "you be a person and I'm a kitty/doggie."

I had a bag of apples that needed to be used up so the perfect project was to make an apple crisp. I intended to have the kids help me peel and cut the apples using our apple peeler-corer-slicer. It looks like this:
The kids have had a lot of fun with in the past. However it wasn't working right so I had to abandon it much to Big Bro's chagrin. I started peeling apples with a knife while explaining that he's too little to use knives. He told him he should go play until I'm ready to start mixing things.

(Photo by Big Bro with lots of filtering because the original was so dark)

As he often does in his four-year-old way, he persisted that he really, really, really wanted to help. After a couple minutes my smart mom hat came on and I realized the apples are soft enough that they could be cut with a butter knife. So I peeled pieces of apple and gave them to him to cut into chunks.
He loved it. He was really good at cutting the right size chunks and was very exacting in his approach.


Lil Sis got in on the action by pouring in the sugar, then she and Big Bro stirred the apples, cinnamon, and sugar together.

I made the crumble and let them help put the last bits of it on top of the apples in the pan. They enjoyed taste testing it too.


I'm not convinced that I'm really ready for fall and cold weather, but it was a great project to pass the afternoon, and the apple crisp tasted delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment