Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Big Haircut


I gave Lil Sis a haircut last night.
She was in the tub and I had just washed her hair.
It hung down in long tendrils.
I watched her play with it and dunk the ends in the water.

Is it too long? Do you want it shorter?
"Uh huh, shorter." she answered.
I got out a brush and scissors.
I cut the first bit.
Then another.
No turning back now.

It wasn't her first haircut. 
She got a couple inches off at the start of the summer too.

"This is fun!" Lil Sis giggled.
Definitely the first time she declared a haircut "fun."
Big Bro begged me to cut his hair too.
Many, many times.
I finished up.
Her hair was so much lighter.
She looked like her baby self.



Dada of Ma 'at was less amused but held his tongue.
I was glad to lighten Lil Sis' load.
I was glad to not define her by her pigtails, though they are beautiful.
I was glad to let her be 2.
To let her play not be bogged down by long, thick hair.

To relieve myself of some hairdressing duties too.

You don't need long hair to be beautiful.
You don't need long hair to be feminine.

Her grandma did love braiding it though.

The good thing is, hair grows back.




No comments:

Post a Comment