Thursday, December 5, 2013

8 Christmas Inspired Kid Activities

What a week it's been! We have had a Christmas filled week and it's been great.

It started on Sunday, First Advent. The kids got their chocolate Advent calendars, we got our Christmas Tree up and had a special dinner to light the first candle on the Advent wreath.

Monday we painted salt dough ornaments to hang on our tree. The undecorated salt dough ornaments were leftover from last year when I went salt dough crazy so that our playgroup friends could do it too.


Tuesday we went to story time and made gingerbread puppets after reading gingerbread themed stories. Then later, back at home, we made popcorn and cranberry strings to add to the tree. Well, ok, just one short strand because I overestimated my 3 year old's ability to thread food with a needle. It was a team effort for me and both kids that ended with jumbled bowls of popcorn intermingled with cranberries and giggles.


Wednesday we made Christmas cookies with Nini (my mom), called Santa's whiskers, a recipe that my mom has been making since I was little. Yum!


Thursday we colored pictures of Saint Nicholas and talked briefly about his story. Before bed the kids put out their shoes for St. Nicholas to fill. It's a tradition I learned from my German mother and we celebrated it growing up. To read more about Saint Nicholas visit stnicholascenter.org


This morning, Friday, the kids awoke to chocolate filled shoes. Saint Nicholas came! Tonight we will have an early Advent dinner with Nini and the cousins. We will have pizza, cookies, and light the second Advent candle.


Saturday will be a Christmas craft show and a gingerbread house making party in the evening.

This coming Sunday, second Advent, we will go to our town's Christmas Tree Lighting if the kids aren't too tired.

We shall see if I can come up with something for every day until Christmas....as long as it's still fun for everyone. Any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment