Thursday, March 27, 2014

Baking an All-Nighter

A few months ago I wrote about my disappointment with Big Bro's preschool for not communicating to parents very well. The school has made good effort to improve communication, which is great. Only trouble now is, any lapses in information or tasks is now purely my own fault.

This week is a school bake sale to raise funds. About a week ago I signed up to bring something to the sale on Friday. 

It is my first time participating in a bake sale in at least two decades, and definitely my first one as a parent. I planned ahead and bought a brownie mix and even put a reminder in my phone's calendar to make it with Big Bro on Thursday afternoon.

But Grandma offered to take Big Bro and Lil Sis for a few hours on Thursday afternoon. The timer alerting me that it was time to bake brownies was promptly ignored as I leisurely puttered around the house.

Around 9:45 PM Dada of Ma'at called me on his way home from his boss's retirement party. We chatted about our days and he described the lovely dinner he enjoyed with his co-workers including a delectable dessert. 

Suddenly I realized I never made those dang brownies. 

So here I am in my pajamas and bathrobe in the kitchen at 10:15 PM waiting for the brownies to get out of the oven. At least now I won't feel like a kid who forgot to do her homework when I show up for preschool drop off in the morning. And this is only the beginning of  a 16 year career as the mother of school-aged kids.

Note the time on the oven clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment