Sunday, March 16, 2014

Jumping off the Brandwagon

We have been thinking about getting Lil Sis her own twin-sized mattress. She seems to be outgrowing her toddler bed, and she loves Big Bro's mattress and all his big boy blankets. 

So I started the search to find something for her. I did the same thing for Big Bro when he was about two years old. With him it was easy because he loved trucks and it was easy to find truck themed bedding for him.


However there was no obvious and generic theme that I thought Lil Sis would like. She does love Dora the Explorer though, so I found some cute Dora sheets that weren't all pink, plus a comforter that had a giant Dora and was very pink, but there were no other choices. I showed them to my husband and he expressed what had been nagging me in the back of my mind all along. 

"They're cute and I know she would like them, but they're kind of commercial, aren't they?"


Yes. They are very commercial. 

I don't want to have my kids to have a commercial childhood. It's hard though. Looking at the bedding sets offered online for girls there were boring florals or themes like: Disney Princesses, Sophia the First, Barbie, Dora, Doc McStuffins, and other overly pink (and purple), bubblegum colored bedding sets. Then there were ones that were even worse like Lalaloopsy themed ones with their creepy button eyes (they remind me of the movie Coraline where children's eyes are replaced by buttons after they have been brainwashed), and Sweet Monster High themed bedding depicting creepy, overly-sexy, teenage vampires.

In the end, I did a search for "gender-neutral bedding sets" and that's where I found the more generic but appropriately themed bedding. We picked out a woodland themed set with trees and cute animals including owls, deer, and foxes on it. It has some pink but not too much and none of the animals are featured in toys, movies, or television shows.


It's not that I mind all those commercial kids' characters in moderation (with some exceptions). I just don't want my child's room or clothing to look like an advertisement for those franchises.

I'm jumping off the Brandwagon in favor of a less commercial childhood for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment