Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Little Maple Sugarers

We are in the midst of a good stretch of weather for collecting maple sap. This past weekend I told my husband the 10 day forecast, so he got the sap buckets, lids, and taps out of the basement. 


This year the kids are old enough to help him wash them out with soap. Not surprisingly, my husband did the bulk of the washing and the kids decided to play peekaboo with the shower curtain.


Over the weekend it was too cold for the sap to run, and we were still sick (never ending nasty cold!) so we never got around to hanging any buckets. But on Wednesday night my husband came home a little bit early. With the last light of dusk, he and the kids went out to hang the buckets on our sugar maple trees.


They had to drill the holes in the tree by flashlight. The kids had a blast helping their dad.  Pepper liked being outside with the family too. I was inside cooking dinner.


We should have about four days of good weather (warm days, cold nights) where the sap is running well. I will keep checking the weather report for when the next good stretch will be. Hopefully we will get a good yield this season.


No comments:

Post a Comment