Wednesday, February 12, 2014

SAHMs don't get sick days

Stay at home moms (parents) don't get sick days. I would have to be really ill for my husband to justify staying home from work, as in stomach flu sick. Unfortunately a bad cold with sore throat doesn't qualify. 

Then again, does anyone really get sick days? For many a sick day means you work from home on your laptop. Maybe you sneak in a nap, but thanks to phone and internet it's too easy to carry on even while hacking up a lung.

Then there are people who work even when sick due to deadlines, staff shortages, or they just can't afford to miss a shift. It's sad really when you think about it.

My sick day went something like this:

I lingered in bed because my husband got Big Bro dressed, fed, and out the door to preschool. Lil Sis and I stayed home. It was a morning with too much screen time for Lil Sis as I nursed my tea and stared into space--sleeping with my eyes open.

Got Big Bro from school. Made lunch for everyone, then remembered that we had dentist appointments that afternoon and it was too late to cancel. Let Big Bro watch a show before we had to go to the dentist, which meant Lil Sis did too. Helped them brush teeth and load into the car.

Arrived at dentist. I had my turn first. Big Bro was excited and told me it was his turn next. He looked like a little Men In Black guy there with his black sweatsuit and black shades. It was his second dentist visit and he did incredibly well.


Lil Sis excitedly watched her brother get his teeth cleaned. While in the safety of my arms as I stood next to the chair she opened her mouth wide, said ahh, and stuck out her tongue and declared, "My turn!" When it actually was her turn she kept her mouth and eyes closed. She was done. 


We drove home on back roads because of a detour necessitated by a traffic collision of some sort. Big Bro fell asleep. 

Back at home we tried to visit Nini, but Big Bri was tired and cranky so he and Lil Sis watched yet another show and had a snack while I cooked dinner. 

Husband came home a bit later than usual, but we all ate together. Then he suggested I go up to bed and got the kids ready for bed himself. Thank goodness for that because I was ready to crash.

I can't have a sick day where I can watch tv and nap all day anymore. Those were the good old days, but at least I did get a little extra sleep/rest compared to a normal day thanks to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment