Monday, January 13, 2014

Cabin Fever Creativity

For weeks it's been cold and icy thanks to an ice storm, more freezing rain, and the "Polar Vortex" or "Arctic Bomb." Even with the recent thaw we have been enjoying it's still icy out, and soggy, so we have gotten creative with entertainment options for my kiddos. Here are some of my favorite activities to beat back the winter blues.

1. Dragons in the Forest
This was an activity that evolved after my son was getting rambunctious with his story books. I swapped out the paperback ones he was abusing for the board books. Set the books up like tents, tell the kids they are dragons in a forest knocking down the trees, and voila!


2. The Obstacle Course
This was my husband's idea. So simple and totally awesome. The kids did such a good job with it. They are running around the rain barrel I got for Christmas in case you were wondering.



3. Composing Original Songs (or at least original lyrics)
My son got a ukelele for Christmas. He has become quite the little song writer. His biggest influences are Sesame Street songs performed by celebrities.

What do you do to pass the time with your kids when the weather outside is inhospitable?

No comments:

Post a Comment