Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lay Chicky Lay

Late in the fall our 4 chickens stopped laying. Was it because of fewer daylight hours? We knew it was normal for them to lay less in winter but we didn't think they would stop entirely. Last winter they still layed eggs, just at a slower pace.

Then they began molting--a very unfortunate occurrence in January during "the Polar Vortex." Maybe that was the only issue that made them stop laying.

Someone told me her chickens stopped laying all together at age 2.5, which made me worry. That's how old Alpha, Frieda, LBJ and Sienna are. Say it ain't so! 

I had to buy eggs at the store for the first time in two years. It was very disappointing. I came home with a broken egg or two because I FORGOT you have to check store bought eggs for such things.


Then, last week we found a solitary egg. A day or two later we found four. The eggs have been rolling in ever since. The ladies are back in business and I couldn't be happier.


No comments:

Post a Comment