Monday, January 13, 2014

Momentum

A while back I posted about creating a Dumbledore's Army, of sorts, to fight climate change--aka a Vermont branch of the Citizens Climate Lobby. 
 
I hadn't made much headway with the holiday season coming up. My big plan was (is) to do my climate presentations for the Climate Reality Project and tack on a piece about my wish to start a VT CCL in order to recruit members who are looking for the next step to more actively fight climate change. How does CCL do this? By talking to politicians and other people in power about the importance of the issue and advocating for a revenue-neutral carbon tax as the fastest, easiest solution to quickly reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Then a week ago I received an email from one of the official Citizens Climate Lobby people addressed to a local guy named Rick and cc'ed a bunch of other people (myself included), all of whom had expressed interest in starting a Vermont CCL. 
 
I immediately responded to all and said "Great! I've been wanting to do this! What is our first step?" Since then Rick and I have been getting organized. With him as the main leader of the "core group" of organizers for this "start up" (of which I seem to be second in command) I think we are really getting this going!

It's exciting, and will be a big learning curve to start our own chapter of a nonprofit climate advocacy group. I hope you will join me if you are a Vermonter, and if you are reading this from another state find a local CCL chapter to join. I will keep you posted on the Vermont chapter's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment