Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sugaring My Way to Spring

This winter is getting me down a bit. All this Arctic cold and ice makes me and the kids a tad stir crazy being stuck inside. I looked at the 10 day forecast and this weekend we are supposed to have daytime highs that are above freezing (slightly), and nighttime temps below freezing (no surprise there!). That got me dreaming about maple sugaring season. 

tapping trees




















This will be our fourth sugaring season. We typically start in mid-February. I hope that will be the case this year despite all the Arctic vortexes we have experienced. 

Sugaring makes me feel very Vermonty. The memories of last season make me feel better about this long, hard winter too. Memories of flowing sap and warmer winter days where we can go out and play without being overly concerned about frost bite on little cheeks, toes and fingers. When sugaring starts you know the worst of the winter is over.

dripping sap
And even more so, after sugaring season is over it will be spring! Crocuses, daffodils, tulips ....ahhhh. 

crocuses last March (mid-month)


No comments:

Post a Comment