Sunday, January 19, 2014

Imagining The Ultimate My Little Pony

When I was little in the 1980s, I would dream about the perfect My Little Pony. It was a pony that combined all the best features of all the ponies. It would be a unicorn pony, with the fuzzy/velvety body, a jewel in its eye, and the wings that could actually flap up and down. I'm sure there were more features from the many ponies being made that I wanted to include, but those are the features I remember best. In my 8 year old daydream, all these features would be combined into one glorious pony.


Now, many years later, I don't daydream about the ultimate My Little Pony anymore. But sometimes I do daydream about things that, if adopted, could go far in protecting the earth. I haven't vetted how possible these are or what the ramifications would be, but here is a taste of my daydreams:
  • A ban on making disposal tissue products (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels) from anything but recycled fibers
  • As long as we're talking about disposal paper products, let's require all toilet paper and paper towel companies to make them without the cardboard roll in the center like Scott Naturals
  • Ban the use of carcinogenic compounds in consumer products. Are they really necessary?
  • Ban sprinkler systems for lawns (green lawns in the desert? Terrible idea. I'm looking at you, American Southwest and anywhere that a green lawn, even in a drought, is a status symbol)
  • Ban fertilizers and pesticides for lawns
  • Ban plastic bags
  • Ban sky lamps and balloon releases (these products aren't biodegradable despite what they say and cause a lot of harm and litter)
  • Ban cheap crap made in China (or elsewhere) that breaks after one use. Heck, ban "planned obsolescence" altogether)
  • Ban plastic water bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment