Thursday, April 17, 2014

¿Legos y Mega Bloks? ¡Muy bueno!

I recently wrote about wanting my kids to have a non-commercial childhood, and I really do believe that, but I also don't want to deprive them of popular culture entirely. With most things in life, what we really need is balance.

Lil Sis has been really into Dora the Explorer for quite a while. She calls the both the show and the character Boots the Monkey "Ooh Ooh ah ah!" She even says it with the same intonation that Boots himself uses. It's very cute, but I digress…

If you read my Jumping off the Brandwagon post, you know that I didn't buy her Dora bedding because I don't want her room to look like an advertisement for a certain franchise. Even so, I still wanted to get her something of her favorite TV show because I knew it would make her happy.

In a box of hand-me-downs I found a Dora T-shirt that was just the right size. We gave it to her on the morning of her second birthday. She promptly got her breakfast on it. Ah, to be 2!


I also browsed the internet for Dora paraphernalia worthy of being her birthday present. I found some beanie babies and other stuffed versions of Dora and her friends. They were kind of expensive and wasn't convinced that she would play with him all that much.

Then I found Dora the Explorer Mega Bloks. We got her an adorable set with Dora's house that you can reconfigure anyway you want, plus furniture, a Dora figurine and a figurine of Dora's lizard-friend "Issa." We got a second set with an RV type van because it came with Dora's best friend Boots, (a.k.a. "Ooh Ooh ah ah!") the van can also be reconfigured. It's figurines and dolls, playing house, and building things all in one!


As another big bonus, Mega Bloks are compatible with Lego Duplo. We have a lot of Lego Duplo, so now Lil Sis' Dora adventures can get even more creative.



No comments:

Post a Comment