Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Handi-Alliance

I worked at a city about a decade ago before I studied urban planning or transportation. I remember sitting in a public meeting and there was something there complaining about the state of the city's handicap accessibility especially during winter. I didn't really get it. I felt some sympathy for this person, but I also just thought things like "it's so hard to keep streets and sidewalks clear,"   and "I can't believe it's really that bad."

But then I had babies. I remember going downtown when my son was really little and in the stroller. I wanted to go into various stores on the marketplace to go shopping like any person would do. All of a sudden the place didn't seem as friendly as it once had. Other shoppers were reluctant to hold doors for me, which was very surprising. Who wouldn't hold the door for a new mother? Some of the big stores did have the handicap accessible door buttons which I used and were very helpful. But more stores had doors that opened out into the street which made it difficult to maneuver around them. Lots of them also had little ramps or steps into the stores which made it even more difficult to get the stroller in. When I was in the mall the elevators were tucked in recessed corners and hallways making them difficult for a newbie to find even with the subtle signage that did exist.

When my family and I went to Boston last week it was my first time using public transportation with the stroller. We had to get off the T at one point, transfer to a bus, then transfer back to the T due to construction. Even with the kneeling bus it was awkward to get the stroller in and the only handicap spot on the bus was in the front near the driver. Under normal circumstances this would not be a problem since everyone has to enter near the driver to pay. But it was a shuttle bus so we entered in the back and were stuck blocking the aisle. Luckily people in that situation were very understanding. 

I recall riding the bus as a regular passenger when I lived in Los Angeles and seeing handicap people come on. It caused a big shuffle of seats as the driver asked people to move then folded up the first benchseat for the wheelchair to fit in. Not a perfect system, but better than no system at all.

On our way home on the TV during our last trip to Boston, I was pushing the stroller into the T and preparing for yet another awkward arrangement. Just by chance I had picked the car and the door on the car where there was a designated handicapped spot. I didn't even have to fold up a bench seat. It was perfect and I felt really relieved at our good fortune of picking this place by accident.

So my question is, why doesn't the stroller set align with handicap accessibility advocates? We have the same struggle of wanting to get a personal set of wheels in and out of public spaces easily.


One last note, we are all familiar with handicap parking, but did you know that some countries and even some cities in the US have family parking so that young families can get their babies and strollers in and out of stores more easily? How great would that be?



I know the issue isn't as simple as I am laying out here, but it is something to think about. We can accomplish more together than alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment