Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Re-establishing my Garden Cred

I've got stiff muscles in my legs and back and dirt under my fingernails, but it feels good.

I've written quite a bit about our homesteading efforts but felt a little like an imposter since it was my husband who did all the gardening last year. Yes, I did a lot of canning, and yes I did have a 1 year old and 3 year old to chase after, but my husband deserved all the garden credit.

This year it's changed.

I raked and hoed, dug and pulled weeds. I took the old abandoned raised beds from the chicken yard and reassembled them as a weed barrier between the garden and the old juniper tree stumps by the patio.



I planted 4 rows of potatoes (only 3 shown below), 5 rows of black beans and 2 rows of green bush beans. Each row is carefully marked by stones at the start of the row. I planted two trellises worth of sugar snap peas. Plus I started our asparagus bed last week.


Big Bro chased the free-ranging chickens out so they wouldn't eat our newly planted seeds. They have been banished back to their yard until a garden fence can be installed. I chased Lil Sis out so she wouldn't dig up the seeds either. Pepper tried to dig up potatoes to make a cool place to lie in the sun. Can't wait for that fence!


It took a total of 4-5 hours, and there are more things I still want to do like plant lettuce, radishes, tomatoes and herbs, but I can at least re-establish some credibility as homesteader/gardener.





No comments:

Post a Comment