Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chinese Food, Curtains, and Crankiness

On Monday night my husband and I got an impromptu date night courtesy of Grandma. We didn't want to miss an opportunity so we went out to dinner at an upscale Chinese restaurant, then to see X-men Days of Future Past.

Lil Sis had taken a late nap that day. We fully expected that she would be awake when we got home. However, we did not expect Big Bro would also still be awake.

Thankfully, the kids went to bed quickly after we got back home. X-Men, by the way, was amazing. And I'm not even a "true" X-Men fan!

The next morning Big Bro woke up first. This is an unusual event. By contrast, Lil Sis slept in.

Big Bro was a bear. So much crying. So much whining. 

I spent much of the morning cleaning. Big Bro has been dealing with allergies so I thought that by thoroughly cleaning his room and taking down the curtains it would help.

In the afternoon I, perhaps foolishly, decided that they needed new curtains TODAY. The old baby decor curtains were thin and let in lots of light. In the summer we put blankets over them so that it is dark enough in their room at 7:30 pm when they go to bed. I didn't want to go back to the old curtain system after cleaning so much, so loaded the kids in the car and drove to Big Lots! to find some light blocking curtains.

Lil Sis fell asleep, which was expected. Big Bro also fell asleep, which made sense given his mood that morning, but was unexpected and rather unfortunate.
I sat in the parking lot giving them their much-needed rest. When they awoke I loaded them into the cart and rolled into the store. They both got to pick out their own color of curtains since the room has two windows. All good things, right? We even bought a snack.



Big Bro's mood was even worse than it had been before his nap. He cried, he whined, he drove me absolutely crazy!

We got home and I plied him with snacks and drink just as he had whined about the whole way home. 30 minutes worth.

My husband had a meeting, so I was on my own straight through bedtime. Because of their naps, both kids didn't want to go to sleep.

All I can say is, enjoy your impromptu night out while you can. There is a good chance you will be paying for it the next day.


2 comments: